Most people dream about working their dream job. Waking up and working on things that you are passionate about and creating amazing web content can seem like a dream that you may never achieve. For many people, the risks of going out on their own discourage them from making the leap to learning new skills.
Whether you want to work for a web design agency or simply freelance from home, a WordPress job just might make it possible for you to finally get your dream job.
WordPress is the most popular website platform in the world and there are many kinds of jobs they can offer to people who want to work on tasks that they love. If you are ready to learn more about how to land a job at WordPress, let’s dive in!
The 5 Steps to Land a Job in WordPress
There are many ways to go about this process, but if you follow these five steps, you will get to the right job with ease. Getting started working in a job that you love will be like a dream come true and these five steps will make this possible for you right away!
1. Check Out the Options
As mentioned above, there are many kinds of jobs that WordPress can offer you. You will not have to freelance if you do not want to. Depending on your unique set of skills and talents, there might be many jobs on this list that you can apply to.
- Graphic Design: If you love graphic design, then WordPress is a great place for you to look for a job. Their graphic designers will not usually need to know how to code, and they will teach you about the ins and outs of their unique WordPress requirements. You will be able to create templates, designs, and images for use by WordPress bloggers and freelancers.
- WordPress Developer: This is a job for people with strong technical skills in programming languages. You will be trained to work on the WordPress platform and you will design coding and other logic that helps make WordPress the premier freelancing platform that is used by millions of people around the world.
- Theme Developer: If you are familiar with the drag-and-drop styling of WordPress themes, you will love working on the development of new themes. WordPress is an industry leader for its unique and stylish themes and you will be able to create new and up-to-date themes for them in this job role as well as optimizing existing themes.
- Administration: WordPress is always looking for people who have good technical skills who can manage the website and user profiles that are housed within it. You might also work on performance management or other day-to-day tasks that keep the user experience top-notch and consistent.
- Content Manager/Writer: If you love writing, then this is the job role for you! You will work on the content that is housed inside of WordPress and you might also work on the user guides and how-to instructions that make WordPress such a good fit for newbies to the freelance world. WordPress content is well thought of, carefully curated, and creative.
2. Hone Your Skills
This is the stage where you will begin to build skills to help you to reach your goal of getting your WordPress job. If you do not have all of the skills you need for your dream job, you can learn many of these skills in your free time online.
There are many ways to learn how to code if you are interested in development and administration, or you can take some online courses related to graphic design if you need to be able to show some more advanced skills that you have not had time to work on in your current job role.
Many of these skills are taught for free or through affordable online class options. Do not let yourself be discouraged by needing a few more skills before you apply for a job. You can get most of those skills online if you find the right training for your needs!
3. Promote Yourself Effectively
There is a lot of competition for jobs at WordPress, so you will want to make sure that you are promoting yourself effectively before you apply. You can create your own website that shows your skills or your graphic design prowess and you might also want to keep your LinkedIn profile up to date.
Before you apply, you should look at how other people in your job role are promoting their own skills and use their online presence as an inspiration to update and improve your own. Being able to back up your talents with real evidence is a big help when you apply for a job with WordPress.
Make sure that you don’t just accept any job offer. If you are worth more, negotiate for the amount that you should be paid! Don’t sell yourself short just because you are making a switch to a new job!
Negotiation is based on your knowledge of the rest of the industry, so make sure that you can show evidence that others in your job role with the same job experience are being paid more. You will need to be able to show evidence to back your value judgments about your hourly rate.
Get it all in writing as well. Do not accept verbal job offers ever! You want to be sure that you can point to the agreement that was made when you accept your job just in case there are any misunderstandings in the future.
5. Network Effectively
Make sure that you keep up to date with your professional connections. You can sometimes get the perfect job just by reaching out to a friend. There are also times that a person who you have worked with in the past will reach out to you to offer you a job!
Make sure that you are easy to locate online and that you keep your email and other connections current and updated with your business connections. You never know where the perfect job offer will come from, so keep your options open.
Working at WordPress Doesn’t Have to Be a Dream
If you are ready to make the switch to your dream job, you can use the tips and tricks in this article to help you find that job at WordPress. There is no time like today to set your sights on your ideal job and then make a plan to go and get it! Careful planning and networking can make it possible for you to find the job of your dreams at WordPress.